Saturday, August 23, 2008



I attempted to season a brand new dutch oven today. I coated it with Crisco and tossed it on our grill for a little more than half an hour. Then I turned off the grill and noticed a pool of melted Crisco around the edge of the lid. I grabbed a hot-pat and a paper towel and used them to dump the oil off and then closed the grill lid for an hour or so. There is a ring on the lid that doesn't look like it has much seasoning on it. In addition, the pot looks brown instead of black. Did I do something wrong? My idea is to coat it with more crisco and then turn the grill on for another little while to add another layer on top of the first, but perhaps someone out there has a better idea.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly said...

I love dutch oven cooking! I got a dutch oven as a gift over 5 years ago, and it's still sitting unused because it came unseasoned. So every time I go camping, I'm limited to my one seasoned dutch oven. I really need to just buck up and season my other one!

Anyway, here's what I have been told to do - I was told to coat the whole thing with oil using a paper towel, then toss it on the grill for like 4 hours. You've inspired me - think I'll try it this week! Good luck!

2/11/08 08:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home